The message from Volkswagen Motorsport and the PSRX team statement is quite clear: Audi, Peugeot and Ford left the World Series of Rally Championships, there were far too many uncertainties in the World Championships for the future.
The PSRX dominated by the Rallicross World Series in the last two seasons The Volkswagen Sweden team announced on Friday that it will not continue in the 2019 season. The PSRX team, which was responsible for the competition in the World Championship, won 19 out of 24 races in the two seasons, Johan Kristoffersson was crowned for two consecutive years the world champion of the drivers and the PSRX Volkswagen Sweden twice as world champion of the team.
– Over the last two years, the competition in the World Series of Audi, Ford, Peugeot and Volkswagen has been fantastic and has offered fantastic sport with tight racing and unconditional star drivers for motor racing. Unfortunately, with the removal of three factory desks, the situation has changed dramatically, Volkswagen Motorsport Director Sven Smeets says in the press release.
– Together with PSRX and Volkswagen Sweden we had to re-evaluate the situation for the MM series. We did not really make this decision on the lightest grounds, but we agreed on the fact that the continuation of the World Cup next year will not be possible because there are too many uncertainties for the participants in the coming season, Smeets reminds us.
According to the press release, Volkswagen Motorsport and Volkswagen Sweden will focus on other types of motor sports.
– This is really sad, but the reduction in the number of teams in the World Cup made us uninterrupted in 2019, PSRX Team Manager Pernilla Solberg admits.
The owner of the PSRX team and the other driver, Petter Solberg, stresses that the decision now made does not mean the final farewell to the World Series of Rally Championships.
– It’s important to understand that this is a break and break does not mean the end. As a team we continue to work together. But I still believe that the MM series can provide entertaining and competitive racing cars anywhere in the world, “says Petter Solberg.
Both the Solberg and Kristoffersson stand are the new Volkswagen Polo GTI R5, which came to the rally market last autumn. Kristoffersson has already announced that he will participate in his own World Championship in Sweden in February. Also Solberg’s speeches can easily be read between the lines that the rally’s 2003 world champion will be seen at Polo’s races on the races next season.
– We are now working on the extension and I look forward to announcing plans for 2019 as soon as possible. And there are plans for me to continue working behind the Volkswagen car, “says Petter Solberg.
The Rallicross MM series is about to move to electric cars in the year 2021. According to Smeets, Volkswagen is closely monitoring the development of this matter.
– Naturally, Volkswagen Motorsport closely follows all the developments in the electromagnetism of rallicross. From the very beginning, we have supported this project and we will continue to be interested in it, Smeets adds.